Learn how to make Rasam (South Indian spicy, flavourful, tamarind soup) with this recipe video. This soup can be served as an appetizer or as a main with some sort of rice dish. Every family has their own rasam recipe and here’s mine 🙂
For more tasty recipes, tips and product reviews please
Our facebook page:
Follow us on twitter:
-Small piece of tamarind to make tamarind juice- 1/2 cup of water to soak pulp in
– 2-3 tbsp oil
– 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
– 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
– 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
– 1 dried red chilli
– 10-12 dried curry leaves
– 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp pepper
– 2 small tomatoes
– 3-4 cups of water
– cilantro leaves for garnish
– Begin by soaking small portion of tamarind pulp in water. After about 10-15 mins, remove the pulp and pass the juice through a sieve. Set the juice aside.
– Heat Oil in a pan and fry mustard+cumin seeds. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, dried red chilli (crushed or whole as per your preference), garlic cloves. Fry for 3-4 mins.
– Add tomatoes. Add turmeric. Let tomatoes become tender.
– Add tamarind juice. Mix well. Add water and bring to boil. then let simmer for 4-5 mins.
– Add salt, pepper and garnish with cilantro leaves before serving. Serve warm.